Monday, January 16, 2012

Victorious in the Kitchen, in Life, and On Snowy Days!

The smell of cinnamon, sugar, and bread filled our house Saturday morning.  I stayed up late the night before experimenting with the bread machine, yet again!  When I pulled these out of the oven for my family, I grabbed a cup of coffee, got cozy in my favorite chair, and inhaled the morning.  I was victorious on my first attempt at homemade cinnamon rolls...thanks for the recipe, Karen!

By night fall, the day had really changed.  Snow and ice covered a hill by our house and my husband skidded off the road only to have another car hit his.  We are grateful and praise the Lord that no one was hurt.  But, disappointment filled the space between us on the phone as I called the police and tow truck, not quite as sweet as cinnamon to be only a few hours later. 

As I make plans to fly to spend a weekend with a friend full of prayer, writing, and girl talk, I was reminded that the enemy never quits.  He is always on a "roll" to seek who he may destroy, steal what he can, and kill any and all joy or whatever else may bring God glory.  Then today when  friends came along side me via calls, e-mails, and messages to encourage me with God's Word, I was reminded of a post from almost 1 year ago today.

What a good reminder!  I hope you don't mind me sharing again...

Wonder what the Proverbs 31 Woman would have thought about me painting sharks yesterday?! Verse 21 says that she is not afraid of the snow. Well, while we hunkered down for bad weather...we painted sharks!!



Go ahead and ask me anything about sharks! I have read enough books, seen enough episodes of "Shark Week," and role-played enough shark attacks to challenge the top scientist at any national aquarium. Well, ok may not "the top" scientist, but defiantly his assistant.

My son is a huge fan. He reminds me that the tiger shark is known as the "garbage can of the sea." "Be careful, Mom! Sometimes sharks mistake people on surf boards as baby seals!" Even when we brush his teeth, he wants me to brush the "sharpest shark ones." What a hoot!



Yesterday was also a great day to finish one more exam in my Liberty Home Bible Institute studies. Small bites toward graduation...slow but sure. It just so happened that after shark painting, I took a Final Exam on the Doctrine of another very well know predator...Satan. You know the one who seeks whom he may devour, always lurking to steal, kill, and destroy.




Despite being inside all day, my little guy 's eagerness to learn about "a predator" really got me thinking. It made me look at myself...like so often we learn from those whom we trying to teach. With everything I learned in the Doctrine of Satan Unit, I am most encouraged by 2 Corinthians 2:11, "Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices." We are charged to know how Satan works so that he doesn't take advantage of us when he tries to attack.


Let's not get caught unaware of what is lurking.

Do we know Satan's devices? Am I trying to learn them or be able to identify them in my own life?

As I prepared for my exam, I had to learn about how Satan tries to attack us. My little guy would be proud of how much I knew about THIS predator. I found this so enlightening, I wanted to share from Dr. Harold Wilmington's textbook, Wilmington's Guide to the Bible...The 16 Deadly "D's" of the Devil.

Have you heard of them? Does everyone know these but me?!

#1. In the attack of Disappointment, let's remember Romans 8:28.



#2. In the attack of Discouragement, let's remember 1 Samuel 30:6.



#3. In the attack of Despair, let's remember 2 Cor. 4:8.



#4. In the attack of Doubt, let's remember 1 Timothy 2:8.



#5. In the attack of Disbelief, let's remember Hebrews 3:12.



#6. In the attack of Distraction, let's remember Matthew 14:30.



#7. In the attack of Double-mindedness, let's remember James 1:8; James 4:8.



#8. In the attack of Dishonesty, let's remember 2 Corinthians 4:2



#9. In the attack of Deceit, let's remember Jeremiah 17:9



#10. In the attack of Dullness, let's remember Hebrews 5:11 and 1 Corinthians 3:1-3.



#11. In the attack of Deadness, let's remember Hebrews 9:14.



#12. In the attack of Delay, let's remember James 4:13-15.



#13. In the attack of Discord, let's remember Proverbs 6:16-19.



#14. In the attack of Defilement, let's remember 1 Corinthians 3:16-17.



#15. In the attack of Defaming, let's remember Psalm 101:5.



#16. In the attack of Disobedience, let's remember 1 Samuel 15:22, Romans 6:14-18.



So, think Dr. Wilmington is right? Is this how Satan nibbles, gnaws, and attacks at you? I answered "yes" to a few, myself! Let us not tread as victims, but thrive as educated victors! Amen?!

May this sweet list encourage you and lead you to His Word as much as it did me today, friend!

Inhaling God's faithful aroma,
April

1 comments:

PA girl said...

Those rolls look divine! Would you be able to post the recipe?
Your sister in Christ,
Kylie

Post a Comment