Friday, January 13, 2012

The Awake Word

Tonight, with my new One Word for 2012 being "Words," my newly created snazzy blog button (I love my new blog button, thank you so much Melanie! What a generous year-long gift!) and only 5-Minutes before the timer goes off on the bread machine, I join in 5-Minute Fridays! In case you have forgotten how it works...



1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Most important: comment and encourage the person who linked up before you.

OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on:


Awake…

GO!

When do you awake? No, not like an A.M. time, but what stirs you, excites you, makes you stay up late into the night and not care the next day?

I don't like the artificial highs that wake me up like coffee, diet Coke, and sugar that slowly ebb off and don't last (although I am a frequent consumer). That is not really "awake" that is more like "pushing." You "push" someone out of bed on most days, but you see them come "awake" on Christmas morning! I long for those time where I feel more refreshed and awake. Very little can distract me in those moments (or fortunate seasons).

Think about this. Do you think awake can just happen at the snap of the finger, or do you think awakening comes after rest, slumbering, or snoozing? Is that good or bad? (Can my 5-minutes just be filled with questions?! HA HA)

I took a long rest this past fall, too long. It might not have felt like it with committing to a part-time job as our church's secretary, but after finishing a 4-year long (should have been 2, or 3 for most) Bible course, I took a break from any formal Bible Study. Left to my own devices, I stumbled, turned sluggish, and slumbered. I tried quick fixes, but for me it just wasn't the same as having a routine and motivation. After Christmas was over, literally and figuratively, and by the end of the year, I did not understand what was wrong. It was only after the new year when I started reading the Bible through chronologically did I even open my eyes to see what had happened.

I awake in the Word. Nothing causes my eyes to open more that hearing God's voice speak to me. Something stirs in me that I can not explain. It isn't so much what happens in me, but it is that the Word itself is alive. It is always awake. The Holy Spirit is always ready to illuminate from it. No pre-setting required. I was the one who was hitting the snooze button.

Awaking Again,
April

STOP!

Enjoying Fridays and linking up with Gypsy Momma!

1 comments:

Cindy Bultema said...

Love, love, love it!
What a great word, April!
Love
Cindy :)

Post a Comment