Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My ONE WORD for 2012!

My friends have shared, “April, you have the gift of words.” Not always what comes to mind when I am trying to tell encourage our 5-year old to do something like “let’s draw pictures for thank you notes for your Christmas gifts,” or “time to clean up your room before going to bed,” or “drink your milk PLEASE!”

But words do have power, even when we feel powerless. That is not because of gifting, that is because of the Gifter! To quote Beth Moore, “Without exception the most powerful built in instrument God has given us is our mouths.” Re-reading some notes I took while watching her Believing God Bible Study DVDs, she said, “For reasons ultimately know to God alone, He has ordained that SPOKEN words carry a power, authority, and effectiveness that exceed words we simply THINK.” Words are important and powerful.

Oh how it has blessed me when a friend TELLS me that she has been praying for me! How it encourages me when a friend SHARES that she was blessed by a blog post! How it humbles me to have a friend CALL and share when she is just plain stuck! So just imagine how God rejoices and is glorified when we SPEAK to Him and share from our hearts and our mouths, or simply REPEAT His powerful Word to a friend or over a situation! On the other hand, how He must hurt when we ignore it or go against it. Ever know someone’s small words to hurt you?

That is why I am giving a lot of thought to my ONE WORD for 2012. You can learn more about it here. Simply, you pick 1 word to focus on for 365 days, instead of 365 resolutions to focus on for 1 year.



You would be so shocked to learn how quickly I can come up with a 365-item “to better myself” list, yet I have struggled, yes S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E-D to think of just 1 word to focus on this year. I have thought of this ONE WORD for 11 days now, ever since I read everyone else‘s and wanted to join in.

The wait is over.

My ONE WORD for 2012 is (drum roll, please) “Words!”
Before you think this is just a cop-out or super cheesy, I did some self-inventory before make my decision:

I thought of GRACE for days even wrote the word in my day planner to think and pray about it being “the one!” Then, what about LOVE? “Lord, help me with my failure to LOVE like you can!” Even thought about SERVE. “Am I SERVING where you want me to, Lord?”…the list could go on and on, and trust me it did!

In the end, I thought of how I love words and so many words have a waterfall of emotion for me. But then again, how perfect are God’s Words! Pop! (in my head, wish you could have heard it!): Do “my words” match “God’s Word?” Can they? All the time?

First, took a look at God’s Word. Do I know His Word? Am I reading it? Daily? A duty or delight? Are His Words in my heart? Memorized? How am I meditate on them? Do I speak them over my husband and son? What does God want to say to me? Through me?
Next, took a look at my words. What am I saying? Do my words help or hinder? What is the motive of what I say? What is the tone of my words? What is coming out of the abundance of my heart (Matt. 12:34)? What are God’s plans for my words? Do my words reflect God’s Word? Am I courageous enough to speak His Word to those that do not know it? (Is anyone else getting hot in here?)
I just laughed out loud thinking that I just signed up for Beth Moore’s new Bible Study called, James: Mercy Triumphs! Not familiar with it? Oh, it is the one where there is an entire chapter (Chapter 3) about “controlling the tongue!” HA HA!! Please encourage TELL me to do my homework!

What is your ONE WORD for 2012? Got ONE? Think about it!
I look forward to your wonderful words,
April

0 comments:

Post a Comment