Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Believing Beyond Unbelief

Maybe because my name starts with an "A," but I loved clinging on to our "A" verse  of 2012 these past two weeks.  How I have have been blessed to claim God's Word, even when life wasn't easy!  Although, a few days late in posting about my new memory verse with the She Sparkles 2012 A-Z Scripture Memory Verse Challenge, I am just as excited! If you haven't joined in, it isn't too late!  Check out Cindy's site...she has Starbucks!!





She Sparkles Scripture Memory Challenge 2012


"B" - Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will Be saved.  Acts 16:31 
(Double B's if you haven't noticed!!)

Somethings are hard for me to believe.  How about you?  Have you ever heard yourself fill in the blanks?

"I can't believe  __________________ ."  or  "I can't believe I  __________________ ."

Usually we find ourselves saying statements like this about something that has already happened and we know for a fact it did, yet we can't get our minds around it.When it comes to believing, are can't and won't the same or different? (You'll have to answer that one for yourself, but keep reading!  :)

Believing is always a choice.  You wither choose to believe something or not.  It is an extension of your faith that something is real or where you place your trust. 

I'll admit that I have had these thoughts:
~  "I can't believe that God entrusted me with the gift of our son."  How many times did I say that when he was in infant and motherhood both engulfed and intimated me!
~  "I can't believe that God has blessed me with my husband."  By all accounts, a happy and healthy marriage is nothing short of a miracle these days...a miracle!
~  "I can't believe that God has allowed me to be a part of so many of His plans."  From conversations in a grocery store to leading a teenage girls Bible Study, I am humbled He wants me and then uses me.

But, each of these statements are true of things that I have seen or felt (24 hours of labor pains) and I know that they are true.  I do believe them, even though it is hard to get MY mind around it, I know they are true!

So, how much harder is it to believe something that you haven't seen? 

That is the story of Thomas.  He was a disciple, a follower of Jesus to who Jesus hand-picked to come along side him and tell God's story.  But, after Jesus died, and laid in a tomb for 3 days, Thomas could not believe he came back to life.  Yep.  A follower of Jesus, hand-picked, given responsibilities to share the message was having trouble believing.  Thomas said something like, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hand, and put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't (not, can't but, won't!) believe it (John 20:25 The Message).  Well, don't worry friends, Jesus loves us so much to die for our sins, and that includes our unbelief.

The account finishes 8 days later and 3 verses further into the story with Jesus reappearing (after he was dead, buried, and risen to life again), this time in the presence of Thomas.  Look at what Jesus said to Thomas, "Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."  Jesus knew exactly what it would take to make Thomas believe!  And Thomas did believe, friends!  He did!

If you are learning this "B" verse with us these 2 weeks, let me share this bit of encouragement with you.  After Jesus invited Thomas to touch where he suffered for us, the Savior says, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes.  Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing'" (John 20:29 The Message). 

What a promise friends!  Believe and be saved!  Believe (without seeing) and be blessed!  Tell God of your unbelief.  Tell Him where you struggle with believing that He is real or that He sent His Son to die for your sin because He loves you.  Ask Him to help you with your can't and/or with your won't, so that you can believe, and be saved.  Thomas did.


Believing,
April

0 comments:

Post a Comment