Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Measuring Cups & Mistakes

Have you heard about the new bread machine in our house?! That’s right! I am super excited about making our own bread! My hubby wrapped the big boxed bread machine in snowflake wrapping paper with “JOY” plastered all across it for Christmas…I was so excited!

Now, before you start shaking your head and saying, “Really? Make your own bread?!! Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a loaf?

Have you ever tasted real homemade bread? There is just nothing like it. And if I am going to eat the CARBS, well…let’s just say, I AM going to eat the carbs; I want them to be yummy!

You should know the first FOUR loaves (and first BAG of FLOUR) were total flops! The first Oatmeal Buttermilk loaf I made was tasty, but after the first slice, it got so hard, I was worried about dropping it and hurting our kitchen floor. Seriously! Then, I got flour all over the heating elements while it was mixing the second loaf (filled it too full) and the entire house smelled of burnt flour and I had to turn the machine off prematurely. We did not want our New Year’s Eve horn and whistles to be fire trucks (aroma was not pleasant, either). The third loaf did not rise. The fourth crumbled like graham cracker pie crust.

However, we just finished the fifth (and only successful) loaf and it was so delicious, I only got 2 slices total!


Getting ready to make another loaf, I wanted to sit here in the kitchen and share.

Know what the problem was with the first FOUR loaves?

Measuring the flour. Pretty basic, right? You know, one of the MAIN ingredient in BREAD!!!!

I was measuring the flour like one would measure brown sugar: Grab a measuring cup, any one will do, thrust it in the flour, scoop it along the side to pack it in, and add. Then, do that 3 times. Why do I do it this way? I don’t know. Is there a different way to measure things? C’mon, is there anyone else who just uses the same measuring cups for both dry and liquid ingredients? How about those of us who don’t measure at all and just “eye ball it,” you know who you are!

So wrong in the bread making world, friends, as I quickly learned.

With all my failures to my record and this exciting new present from my husband, I was glancing back over the instruction booklet and saw this page that said, “Tips: Use Exact Measurements” and I re-read what I had originally skimmed over. It was right there in black and white:







“ Measure dry ingredient by GENTLY spooning flour, etc., into the measuring cup
and then, once filled, leveling of with a knife. Never use the measuring cup to
scoop your dry ingredient directly from a container as this could add up to one
tablespoon of extra ingredients. Do not tap the bottom of the measuring cup or
PACK DOWN.”






Oh these were like sweet words to me! There was still hope!

How had I missed them? Now, like most things in my life, I thought, “Look at all the spiritual principles here!” Yes, we should always go to God’s instruction book, the Bible, when we feel as if we are failing to let it correct, train or disciple us. God’s Word can also act as a recipe for a faith-filled life of abundance.











However in this situation for me, I am reminded of “portions.” Last Friday, I sat down for lunch with a dear friend and our conversation swirled around our “portions” in life. More is not always better. Amen? Packing too many things in, like grams of flour, will inhibit us from even being able to consume what is rich.

There is much to be said about GENTLY scooping things into our lives, allowing the Holy Spirit to measure them against God’s Will and Word, rather than just saying “Yes.” Then, once filled with confirmation, level off.

As the New Year begins, where are you? PACKED DOWN tight or FILLED by your Portion? Who is your Portion?

As you choose this day whom you serve and how you do it, choose God to be not only your portion, but choose Him to also be the CUP! “LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure” Psalm 16:5. Just simply beautiful, do you think? Where ever your lot is, however your lot is going in life, when you CHOOSE to make God your portion, even your CUP, He holds it secure in His Hands.

May it overflow with praise, not false priorities.





April

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Just what I needed to read this evenin', April! :)
Glad the bread worked for on the 5th loaf! Would love to taste some!!!
Hope you're having a wonderful night!

Cindy Bultema said...

Love it! You have a gift of bringing spiritual principles out of everyday living...and I love it! I wish we lived closer so I could enjoy some of your bread...it looks delicious!
Always a blessing when I stop by Barefoot Offering. Thanks for blessing us so!
Cindy :)

Post a Comment