Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...it is Tunesday!

In the last couple of weeks, I have enjoyed the privilege of speaking about public speaking. Neat, huh? The simple helping out a friend, by presenting at a few scout meetings, turned into a personal reflection. How is it that when we help out someone else, we are the ones who are ultimately blessed in the end? And, why are we surprised by it?

When given the chance to try their hand at public speaking, the older scouts withdrew and guarded what they shared as they introduced themselves while the younger group was open and demonstrated total freedom. What joy! Despite age, maturity, and experience the more eloquent speakers were the younger group of scouts. I had to go look in a mirror! Do I remain free? open? vulnerable myself as I speak about You, Lord? In the last few weeks (as evident by sparse blog posts), the answer is "No."

God explains, "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" 2 Corinthians 3:17-20. My honesty came with an uncomfortable shock. Have I forgotten that I am STILL being transformed into His likeness? With even more honesty, I answered "YES!" Oh, how I have a lot of transforming to do! I went into the scout meeting encouraging others to stand up to one of mankind's greatest fears, next to death, and publicly speak. All the while, adjusting and fidgeting with my self-applied "veil." You know how it is. Anything that keeps us from reflecting the Light that is in us serves to veil our vision...our vision of what we want to be for Him and to see His vision of what He wants for us. Right?! Veils of fear, indecisiveness, competition, lack of faith, and pride have all been torn. Why do I keep reapplying?

Natalie Grant's song Perfect People has this one line that says, "So look up and see Love. Let grace be enough." And with that thought, I do look up and pray...

Thank you for being my mirror today, Lord. How incredibly complete You are. I needed to be reminded that there is no longer a veil between us. I am sorry for blocking Your Light. True freedom (my heart's desire) comes from allowing Your Spirit to unveil what You have already created in me. I am free to be me because I am in You. Amen.


0 comments:

Post a Comment