Wednesday, November 11, 2009

From Park to Deep!

I am proud to announce that I am a proud momma of a "Guppie" graduate. This morning, my 3 1/2 year old son had to show the lifeguard instructor all that he learned in preschool swimming lessons to pass his class. As we arrived at the aquatic center and I put the car in "P" I thought, I should pray for Jeremiah before he "graduates." Then, the Spirit prompted me, "Jeremiah would you like to pray before your last swimming lesson?" With clasped hands and a bowed red head he prayed, "Dear Heavenly Father, we come to you (his classic beginning to every prayer), please don't let me go into the deep. Amen." Rather odd, I thought, but OK.

A perfect performance got him a ride on a huge square float. As they conversed, the instructor asked, "Where do you want to go, Jeremiah?" With pride, he pointed is little pruney finger and said "Over there!" And, she guided him into the DEEP! Without the least bit of resistance, he went where he feared. The float was not spent in worry and anxiety, but laying on his back looking up and elaborately conversing pretending to be pirates in a huge ship on the big open sea. Our instructor threw back her head, laughed, and said, "He makes my day!"

What a picture of our relationship with God! We make His day when we follow his "gliding" into the deep. Converse with Him, tell Him what delights your heart, He hears you! When you have demonstrated what you can do through Christ, be brave and dive into what you fear the most. But, if you can't dive just yet, FLOAT! God heard Jeremiah's prayer...and He answered it. God didn't let Jeremiah go into the deep, my little Guppie was carried the entire time on a faithful float that would not fail.

That "float" is Christ! So, I have to ask. Are you
A. failing?
B. flailing?
C. floating?

Don't worry, you won't flunk the test, but you have the opportunity to make His day! Don't you want to? Dear Heavenly Father, we come to you, thank you for continuing to teach me about prayer & how Your Son intercedes for us and delights in keeping us afloat. I pray for those who read this...give them courage to float with you anywhere...even into the DEEP!

1 comments:

allison said...

I'm definitely in over my head April!

And I admit I've been flailing. I've been discouraged and down--wanting to float but not quite sure how to let go. Why isn't surrender easier?

Have I ever told you the story about the mountain climber who fell off a ledge in the dark? The rope kept him suspended but the temperature was getting cold and he wouldn't survive the night exposed like he was. He heard a voice that kept telling him to let go but he was too afraid. They found him in the morning, frozen to death and suspended 3 feet from the ground!

I have the sinking feeling that I've been making a scene about drowning--thrashing and screaming, only to discover I'm in the shallow end! ;-)

Thanks for the beautiful imagery. I'm going to drift off to sleep thinking of floating down the river (God's will) - You, me and Jesus!
Allison

Post a Comment