Tuesday, November 10, 2009

LOUD & CLEAR!

Ok, God! I hear you loud and clear!

Tonight as I was working on my LHBI coursework "intercession" came up for the third time in a matter of days!
November 1 - Scripture reference that struck me from my daily devotional book, Hebrews 4:16 " So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help" (MSG)
November 4 - A friend shared over the phone she was excited to go back to her church's intercessory prayer services on Wednesday nights because it was such a blessing to her.
November 9 - Last night's homework scripture referenced Hebrews 7:25 "Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them" (NIV).

I had to look that verse up in a couple of translations to make sure it said what I thought it said...Jesus lives to make intercession for us? Doesn't He have other things on His list with a little more priority like preparing a place for me, if not, He would have told me! Not to get too picky with the Word of God, but does this mean...Christ is just eager to intercede on our behalf at the throne of God or was Christ's very purpose in arising Easter morn to fulfill this duty? So after six translations, my answer is both. My favorite scripture that I found during my impromptu independent study assignment was Isaiah 53:12 "For He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." The cross itself was intercession!?! The death, life, and resurrection of our Savior is all to be my advocate, to make my petition, to speak on my behalf.

Cool, but what is He saying about me? Romans 8:27 says "the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." I want to know more about this thing...intercession...that Christ lives to do for me. And as His Light, I need to know better how to do it for others. Living a WWJD life holds an expectation that we practice intercession like Him, right? Stay tuned (or bookmark me).

The Words I Would Say is a good intercessory song for Tunesday. Sidewalk Prophets ends the song like this:
Be strong in the Lord and,
Never give up hope,
You're going to do great things,
I already know,
God's got His hand on you so,
Don't live life in fear,
Forgive and forget,
But don't forget why you're here,
Take your time and pray,
Thank God for each day,
His love will find a way,
These are the words I would say

2 comments:

allison said...

April, I am always amazed at how aligned our journeys are! In class we have been working on improving our intercessory prayer and I just wrote an article for our church newsletter about petitions. It is one of my favorite parts of Mass as we all come together and lift someone up in prayer. I love the sound of 300 people saying "Lord, hear our prayer" in unison. It reminds me of the scripture where the friends lift the paralytic man through the roof, lowering him into the presence of Christ, only now He is at the right hand of God and we have to lift our friends UP! ;-)

barefootoffering said...

Thanks Allison! I am glad that you are along for the journey and have appreciated how you have lifted me UP!

Post a Comment