Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Good to the Last Drop

Thanks to so many of you who have inquired about this past weekend’s speaking opportunity at the Women’s Retreat in West Virginia. God moved in a mighty way throughout the entire weekend. Here’s the story…

Friday, God Filled My Cup
Have you noticed the days are getting shorter? Not only do the days pass by more swiftly, but there is less and less daylight in each of them. My how time passes was my exact thought as we drove 2 hours to see one of my younger brothers earn his junior black belt. We shared a milestone despite time and distance. As we drove home in the early-setting darkness, I got comfy, slid off my shoes as my oldest younger brother of 30 years, shared his heart. The season was about to change.

This past summer, he met my desire to share my testimony with a great deal of anxiety, hesitation, and even frustration. You have to understand, until God healed and changed MY heart, neither of us was openly, let alone publicly, comfortable to share that our dad committed murder and suicide. Now, in autumn darkness, headlights illuminated our way. My brother shared how after the previous Sunday’s sermon, Living in the Spirit - Not Flesh, he went to the altar. Not quite done with him, God tugged on his heart to openly share, on a Sunday morning to a full congregation, the story of what our dad did in the flesh. What a milestone! What a God moment!

I know of my own painful, agonizing, gut-wrenching experience of sharing our story publicly from earlier this summer…only to be met with fireworks as I left Michigan. On my late night drive home, after getting lost, somewhere over Canton, Ohio, I saw fireworks overhead and was reminded of an earlier-heard quote by Sarah Young, “When your joy in Me [Christ] meets My [Christ’s] joy in you there will be fireworks of celestial ecstasy.” That moment was a bright and shining celebration of being obedient to the Lord.

As my brother talked about how God worked to change his heart, we had the opportunity revisit the summer’s conversations…some very heated! He understood the urging that the Spirit can have on your life and the need to obey. Just then, my husband interrupts and points. “Look over there. Did you see that? There were fireworks!” Are you serious, “It is October” I said, but immediately I knew that didn't matter. In a dark sky, on an autumn night, near an interstate, God again showed me His celestial ecstasy in our sibling healing…we shared the same bright colorful Joy. Are you surprised to know my brother finished sharing his story with us by telling how the next afternoon brought a call from his Pastor rejoicing that someone in the church was saved, citing my brother's testimony as an impetus? A stranger, but not to God, gained his sight and welcomed His Light into his life from our family's darkness! Praise God!

Saturday, My Cup Overflowed

So the next morning I drove in the twilight to West Virginia to speak of King Hezekiah’s tunnel and share how God helped me find a way to overcome my walls of shame, embarrassment, and resentment to bathe in pools of blessing.
The Spirit washed over me with ease - I just shared.
My words were from healing– not just hurt.
There was no anxiety or wrenching – just Truth.
God spoke to hearts – just used my mouth.

Sunday, I Got a Refill!
I never expected more on Sunday. But, I serve a generous God! What a bright day...full of Light...to bathe in His Presence after seeing Him the past two days. As we sat down, looked at the bulletin, the text for the Sabbath’s sermon was Exodus 3:1-10 where God called Moses to be barefoot…no excuses!

And since it is Tunesday on my blog...
Fill my cup Lord,
I lift it up, Lord!
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
Bread of Heaven, Feed me till I want no more
Fill my cup, fill it up and make ME whole!

2 comments:

Misty Lester said...

Oh April! I cannot wait to hear the details! I got back into town Monday night - had anniversary dinner last night - and I know you have AWANA tonight... when do we get to talk? :)

Jilian said...

Need to share with you that as T & I were laying in bed last night at our hotel in Nashville we heard all these LOUD BOOMS outside. Fireworks? Really? Sure enough - we opened the curtains and watched a 10 minutes firework show over the river on a Wednesday night in Nashville!

Bonus - our hotel is right across the street from the Lifeway offices and MEGA store. Dangerous. ;)

Excited for lunch next week.

Post a Comment