Sunday, October 11, 2009

Is there a chill in the air? Or is it just me?!

Being the mother of an imaginative preschooler, I know my cartoon characters. For those who can relate, what does Thomas the Tank Engine, Elmo, and Bob the Builder all have in common? They all demonstrate spiritual truths. Seriously, take a look.

Thomas the Tank Engine seeks to be "very useful" and help other trains different from himself...Thomas is like the Good Samatrian. Elmo follows the golden rule and loves one another...everyone, all the time, anywhere, no matter what. Bob the Builder fixes everything! You know the song..."Can we fix it? Yes, we can!" Bob has the faith of a mustard seed and is the ultimate optimist. Isn’t he? Yes! He is!

Are we? Do we have spiritual optimism? Can we? Yes, we can! But today, I share a caution.

Obviously, our sufficiency isn’t through Bob the Builder, but through Christ. I bet we can all state the ever popular verse, Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” I see that verse a lot...Posters, greeting cards, home décor. But where is John 15:5? John quoted Jesus. Jesus said, “without me, ye can do nothing.” Tucked behind the vines and branches, it doesn’t get the same popularity does it? No, it doesn't. But is holds so much meaning.

God has provided a speaking opportunity this coming weekend at a Women's Retreat. I will be sharing about God's work in my life this summer and my Bible Study of King Hezekiah. As I gather notes, get anxious, make outlines, harness my creativity...I get nervous. Who am I to share from God's Word? Will they like it? Is it entertaining? Thought provoking? Scripturally sound? Cold barefeet set in before I started preparing Saturday. However on Saturday, He saw fit to provide 3 affirming e-mails about gifts that others see in me and led me to read, "When you project yourself into the future, rehearsing what you will do or say, you are seeking to be self-sufficient: to be adequate without My [Christ's] help. This is a subtle sin - so common that it usually slips by unnoticed" by Sarah Young in my devotional, Jesus Calling.

It greatly excites me that God provides different verses for different situations; only He can empower and humble us at the SAME TIME! So, when we need to know that “Yes, we can!” – God empowers us and gives us Phil 4:13. But, when we are too sure of ourselves and are tempted to abuse our gifts and abilities in the name of the Lord…He humbles us with John 15:5. In my attempts to be self-sufficient, self-reliant, and go it alone, I am glad He said, “No! You Can’t!” His Word warms my feet!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great posts!
Christine

Post a Comment