Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lovin' even the Pits!

Erma Bombeck wrote a book in 1978 called, "If Life is a Bowl Full of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?"  I remember seeing it on my mom's bookshelf when I was younger.  Never having read it, I wonder if Mrs. Bombeck knew of my last few months, she would have had me on the cover!

So, in recent posts I shared I fell down our stairs, hurt my back, seen several medical professions, (1 LPN, 2 Spine Surgeons, 2 Physical Therapist, 1 Chiropractor, & 1 ER doctor to be exact!), survived a myleogram, oxygen when my respiration's lowered after pain meds in the ER, and a self-induced ice pack burn on my back A.K.A "frostbite!")  Don't worry though nothing really compares to last night....

Have you met my better half, Jason?  I have known for 15 years that I married up!  I could write a blog just about all the ways he displays what unconditional love is on this side of Heaven.  Last night, after taking off work to help me live through some of the pain and get it touch with my doctor for some recommendations, he did a late night grocery run.  Coming home with something special for me was unexpected.  I tore into the bag of cherries...MY FAVORITE!  Devouring 1 handful, I quickly got another.  Within seconds, my tongue started to SWELL!

Friends, I can not make all this stuff up!

"Jeremiah, go tell Daddy that Mommy's tongue is swelling!"
"Dad, Mom's tongues is swelling" with as little emotion as possible running back to a little cartoons before bed!
"WHAT!"

We were at the ER within 30 minutes.  Sorry, no pics taken even though a suggestion was made to update my FB photo!  Not happening!

Long story short, after eating cherries all my life, and one of my favorite memories with my Dad and brother Albert, I am the proud new owner of an Epi Pen!

But let's get back to Mrs. Bombeck's book!  We were never promised that this life will be like a bowl full of cherries, but we are promised that the Lord will "never leave us for forsake us" (Hebrews 13:5) and that this world will be "full of trouble"  (Job 14:1), but when faced with it, remember that "no temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it" (1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV).
 
And as for the pits, that usually describes this life better than cherries, unless you are allergic to them.  Did I mention that this is the year that I turn 40?!?!  What a whopper!  I'll leave you with a few thoughts to carry into the weekend...consider it a mini-Bible study if you relate to this post or are looking for one:

Didn't God get Jacob out a pit and lift him to a position of esteem in Egypt and he even was able to help his family from famine?
Didn't God save Jeremiah from a pit, and even thorough others didn't listen to him, he remained faithful?
Didn't God save Daniel from a Lion's Den, full of fear and darkness, covered by a lid all night long?
Didn't Jesus' words command Lazarus to come forth from the tomb after days?
...and (if you hadn't thought of it already), didn't Jesus arise from the grave?!

All the answers are "YES, and AMEN!"  Look up the scripture references just to make sure!  So, why would we not believe that we would be able to pray to God just like these men and even King David,
I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.  Psalm 40:1-3

...and if it isn't a prayer that you can pray in praise today, it is a prayer you can pray for in hopes of tomorrow!

Blessings,
April (with my ice pack and epi pen ever ready!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So true, April, God's never going to leave you. He was with you when Jeremiah was ever so calmy telling Jason your status, in the car on the drive to the hospital, in the ER, the ride back home and now, once again, beside you on the living room floor. He makes what would be mountains to some, just another bump in the road for those who put their trust in Him. Thanks for those reminders. I am sorry for this latest development and glad to hear that you got the care you needed that night in the ER. I will keep praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That IS scary! Brooke had an allergic reaction to one of her chemo drugs and we were 5 minutes outside of the parking deck before her entire face (tongue included) started to swell- as well, HORRIBLE hives all over her entire body- even the bottom of her feet! The medicine was a long lasting repeat release one so every time it would release she would have the allergic reaction all over again... the kept her in the critical care unit for 3 days until it got out of her system. If you ever need another epi- pen just holler- we have 2 :)

SO glad your writing again! I appreciate the encouragement and joy that shines through :)

Post a Comment