Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Waves

Grateful for the sunshine, the smell of morning, and the cool air, we walked up to the corner of the yard.

We heard the rumble of the engine before we saw the yellow of the school bus.

That's when it happened, friend.

My son, Jeremiah, urgently almost breathlessly said, "I wanna pray!" Didn't we just do that last night and this morning? The bus was turning the corner and my kindergartner dropped to both knees...on the street....in his new jeans, and prayed for his day. Got up, climbed on board, took his seat, and went to his first day of school.

I have never seen someone begin their day more humble.

What is a momma to do? Wave.

Recently, I have been doing a lot of reading about waves as we gear up for our teenage girls Bible Study on Wednesday nights. How can you do the new Soul Surfer Bible Study without talking about waves, right?! But I was struck by the description of how from shore, surfers look like they are just sitting out in the middle of the water on their boards and doing nothing, but they are. They are watching waves come and go. As they are moved up and down in the water, they wait for the right one. They wait until they "feel" the right wave arrives, then they ride it.

My wave came today. I have been preparing, watching, teaching, instilling, and praying. Yes, there have been many ups and downs as I have stayed home for 5 1/2 years. But, I knew this day would come. I have felt the rise in the tide this summer...tying shoes, picking out what he thinks matches, not asking for help in the bathroom, sharing opinions and even asking the hard questions. Friends, that big WAVE came today.

God has waves for each of us. Some are meant to just ebb on by...not all are ours. Others are meant to swell and specifically train us. A few...those few amazing ones are meant to be enjoyed, ridden, and rejoiced in. Today, tasting the salt water of my own tears, I trust in Jesus. I trust He is preparing not just me to be the mom that He has called me to be, but I trust that He is preparing Jeremiah.

Ride on, Jeremiah. You are called to ride waves that arrive for you, buddy. Each wave is different. You won't score perfect 10's every time. God provides and appoints; Momma stand on the shore and WAVEs. My heart swells with love for you today, son.

Friend, are you riding the right wave for you? Praise God if you are. But if not, stop. Find God's best for your life. Learn to wait on Him and for His plans. Ask Him to teach you and give you eyes to see it, even if it far off on the horizon. Trust in Jesus.

If you are like my friends moving to South Dakota, and it is rough, choppy, and you are barely hanging on. Trust in Jesus.

But, if you feel like you are sitting in the middle of the Pacific (and have been) waiting on "the big one," remember you would not want to be any other place when God sends it to you. So, Trust in Jesus.

No matter your answer, today this is for me and for you...


Waving, but Trusting More,
April

0 comments:

Post a Comment