Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Student Becomes The Master, She is!

So, there was a whole lotta shakin' goin' on today, friends!

Where were you on August 23, 2011, the day that the earthquake hit Virginia? That is my new question!

Well, as for me, I was here at the computer in our home office downstairs and I simply thought I was loosing my mind. The house creaked and made noises, the windows sounded like they do in a hard mountain storm, and I saw the flat screen computer monitor shaking and I felt unbalanced...more than on my most frazzled day. You know what I am talking about Shannon! I shared with a friend that it felt like when you are a little girl playing outside and you twirl around and around making your dress fly, then stop. You know, that dizzy feeling? That was me at 1:51 p.m. today, August 23, 2011.

Thanks for those who called and checked on me or sent notes on-line. :) God blessed us all and we are fine!

But, to be honest, I kinda panicked and called my hubby at work and said I thought something was wrong with the house like a water line ruptured or gas line exploded. I was even leaving a message on a voicemail when I heard the news just moments later and I said, "I was just in an earthquake" and hung up. HA! I did call back later and explain. :)

I was fine, but what an out of control experience! Not just physically, but emotionally. I did mention that our son, Jeremiah, just started Kindergarten, didn't I? Oh my! Just thinking about him at school without me was overwhelming! It was those "first day of school feelings" all over again. Was he at recess? Did he feel it? Did it scare him? Is he ok? Is he ok? Is he ok?

You know why cell phones were jammed this afternoon, don't you? Mommas!! Because mommas were checking on their once kindergartners no doubt!

Tonight I am praising God for another reminder, one that registered 5.8, that He is the one who moves Heaven and Earth and cares for those who dwell there. Thank you God that we are never ever too far out of Your Reach, even when our kindergartners or college freshman are. Whew!

But I have to share this story about the end of the day. I was on FB and checking on friends and their funny post about the day. Everything from Jerry Lee Lewis's song to posts about "shaking things up" made me finally laugh about it. But then, sweet Rebecca...
...I read about her "EE" Earthquake Experience from early at the high school (we just finished prayin' her into cosmetology class her Junior year) and she just blew me away. She instantly shared that today's events made her think of Matthew 24:6-13.

Ummm...I wasn't totally sure what that reference was, so I had to look it up before I could reply. From verse 7 and 13, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places...but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved."

I sat at my computer and just smiled. Rebecca, a high school Junior, ministered to me today...her soon to be Soul Surfer Bible Study leader.

This must have been what Yoda felt like with Luke Skywalker (new craze at our house...thanks McDonald's Happy Meals!). Hey Rebecca, you wanna teach this year? Hey wait, she did last year and will be this year some nights with Kaitlyn and Bethany, too! WOO HOO! Yep! Our class even has a "Bethany!"

Thank you for the reminder of verse 13, Rebecca. "But the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." A gentle reminder that when everything around us shakes, crumbles, falls, collapses, cracks, gives way, and trembles...AND it will...we have a PROMISE to CLAIM that if we stand firm on the name of Jesus, stand firm in Him and His promises, we will be saved..from it all.

Where were you on August 23, 2011? I was in the Word with Rebecca! Thank you, friend!

3 comments:

Cindy Bultema said...

Amen, amen, amen!
Thanks, April! Thanks, Rebecca! You both have blessed me today!

P.S. Psalm 16:8 comes to mind after reading your post!

barefootoffering said...

"I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8!

His Word is so good for EVERY situation! Thanks for sharing with us what was on your mind (and heart!), Cindy!

~ April

Allison Welch said...

I was on the 3rd floor of a high school built 50(?) years ago teaching religion classes. It truly humbled me to realize that I am responsible for the safety of 19 of someone else's children in my room. Would I have known what to do? We've done fire drills and lock downs but earthquake drills are not part of the plan in SW Va! Glad you and yours are safe.

Post a Comment