Friday, August 19, 2011

Beginning or Ending?!

Under this picture of my son's first day of school, I wrote, Ecclesiastes 3:4 "a time to weep, and a time to laugh." Which is it, friends? Are we beginning or ending?

We don't always want to be in "transition," do we? That is like riding the ups and downs of ocean waves and never overcoming the fear to mount one and surf. Or never being courageous enough to wipe out and let a ride end even if you have a great faith story to tell. Yep, still prepping for our Soul Surfer Bible Study.

Seriously though, if I hear the word "transition" one more time in our house, I might scream or go grab a bar of soap...FOR ME!

Although God graces and comforts during transition, He even calls us to it, that is not all He has for us. We have to join Him in our endings and beginnings.

There has been so much transition in my life, (NO! NOT THE SOAP!). I am grateful for long distance friends who share and close friends who care. Recently, two friends who fall into both categories, have ministered to me.

A dear friend of mine just transformed her classroom theme from bees to frogs. We are "Coyotes" through and through around here. ;) Anyway, she recently shared that she was using the word "busy" too much.

How many of us do that?! How are you, they ask. I am good, just super busy, we answer. This year, the bees have flown away from my friend and the frogs have leaped in! She isn't even using the "B" word. What a commitment! Now, only replacing the old word with "fruitful." I love that, friend! Who would ever want to be shhh! b-u-s-y swimming a tadpole's life without the transforming hope and power of hopping onto a blooming blessing?

Thank you for modeling how to "end" something, friend.

Another friend and I grabbed a few minutes over the phone this week and I said the word "prune" and she began telling me about this message she listened to 3 times! As "fruitful" and "fruit-filled" as she is, what would make her want to begin watching something 3 times!?

I began to get was curious and hit the "arrow" button. You know, the one that points you in a new direction.

What an awesome message from Dr. Henry Cloud that he recently gave about "Necessary Endings" at Willow Creek Community Church! He knows all about letting things end, even pruning them, so new things can begin.

Thank you for modeling how to "begin" something great, friend.

With so many HUGE things going on in my life right now, I need to take a knee. I need to end how I have been praying, and begin praying differently.

Father, help me support and encourage my husband as his job ends and he begins something new. Give me what can help him.

Father, I praise you for 5 and 1/2 years at home! As they come to an end and new opportunities are beginning, let me only say "YES" to what you are saying "YES" to. Give me new ears.

Father, I ask for wisdom at church as one ministry ends and a new one begins. Both "goodbyes" and "hellos" can be difficult.

Father, I thank you that our Wed. Night Bible Study ended. Thank you that we waited and You have given us something new to begin now. I am so excited to dive in!

Father, for my deepest needs, let me know Your Love enough and trust You enough to fill them. Teach me that ending
does not have to leave me empty. Your filling is not a beginning, but better. It is complete.

So, what about you?

Dr. Cloud has some great questions to ask you. If you are interested in listening you can click here. If you are in a tran....., I mean, if you are not too b...... Ummm, let's just say, I'm ending the blog post so that you can watch now and let God begin to speak to you.

Working on my first assignment of the school year,
April

1 comments:

Tanya Glanzman said...

:) Beautifully written- Thankful the He has already gone before you with favor for all of your new beginnings and follows after you with Mercy and Grace for all of your endings.

Post a Comment