Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tuckered Tank Testimony

Have you ever thought about how it feels to run out of gas? Or maybe been there, done that?!


I mean, there IS an indicator on the dash (our van even has a "miles 'til empty" feature).

You know the last time you filled up (or at least if it has been a while).

Pumps and gauges usually tell you how much gas it takes to fill up your tank (not everyone is the same). And yet sadly, we will run the risk of running out of gas all the time before we will stop and fill up again.

In the car, I have never ran out of gas. But in my life, I have recently felt like I have been running on fumes. See, I think that I have just been running without filling all the way up and not noticing how much of my "fuel" that I have been using. Not careless ventures, but lots of acceleration to different destinations, a little to much "idol"ing if I am being completely honest, and even siphoning to others when they run out, but never really stopping to fill completely back up myself. Only I can do that.

Short stops to gas up just a little at a time...a few gallons here and a few more there...just doesn't let you go very far, am I right? It gives us the illusion that we have what we need, but we haven't put ourselves in the best situation if an obstacle or challenge arise.

We just recently returned from our summer vacation and we were suppose to be home from the beach by early evening with plenty of time to unpack and put away. But, as we approached the split of I-77 and I-81, an open road bottled-necked within seconds and it took over an hour to just go 8 miles! Luckily, my husband had topped off the van a few miles back and kept his eye on the gauge...he was always aware of our "miles 'til empty" and we remained comfortable in our longggggg wait. Our tank of gas got us home, needless to say, it was closer to 10 o'clock when we pulled in. I am still unpacking and putting way.

Unlike my husband, filling up is an area of my life that demands more of my attention. Here is what I am working on:
- Being in the present. Paying attention. Knowing where my gauge stands.
- Stopping when I'm low. Stalling on empty is too painful. Running on fumes isn't good for the engine.
- Pull-in and fill all the way up with high grade.

In a verse about "peace," God says, "I do not give to you as the world gives" John 14:27.
Others fueling us, or our own self affirmations and even caffeine fooling us, are all the wrong worldly octane. Instead, we are to be "filled with the Spirit." Because "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need" and time of fumes.

Pulling in,
April

2 comments:

Diane Stelter said...

Thanks for the fill-up April. This girl is in a much needed position of pulling off the road, refueling and repositioning her GPS. Running on fumes is not a good place to be. God spoke clearly to me through you this morning. Thank you for hearing his voice and sharing it.

Amanda said...

April, this is a great post...and a perfect analogy! Thanks for sharing this! It was very encouraging!!! :) Fill up!!! :)

Post a Comment