Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pick-A-Low

A crash coarse in high school marching band about sums up my day.

One of the best things that came out of our Young Ladies Summer Bible Study were the relationships. All 15 chapters have been read, chairs and table are back the way we found them, and school's first day is Monday for most. The Bible study is over, but somehow the teaching continues - theirs, not mine.

All day I looked forward to seeing a few girls from our summer Bible Study at the first local high school football game tonight (we won). Hugs, introductions, and school colors filled the night. While most spectators made their way to the concessions as we lead at halftime, I sat on the edge of my seat and tried to see familiar faces take the field in the high school marching band.

During the third selection, as red flags sailed through the instruments, lightly high pitched notes filled the air in a crowded football stadium. Hundreds of people talking, different drums beating, and with a marching band playing, I still heard the notes that no others matched.

Know what it was?

The piccolo.

So. Here is my question for you. How is it that God can make the mighty from the minute? You know it is true. Right?! There was David (beat the giant), there was Esther (Jewish queen), and the Mustard Seed (moves mountains) , then ultimately, Jesus (swaddled infant Savior).

I was reminded of a verse read just earlier today from John 3:30,

"He must become greater; I must become less."

My Barefoot Unabridged Blog Translation reads, "Be piccolo!" (Italian for small).

The piccolo is just half the size of a flute, but has the same fingerings; and echos an entire octave higher than what is written on sheet music. Don't you find it interesting that in the world's largest award-winning orchestras filled with the biggest names in the classical music, the piccolos are chosen for most solos because they are the ones that can be best heard and most clearly distinguished from all the other instruments?

Under the stadium lights, I asked myself, "Do I desire to be small?" Well, ask me the morning after eating Krispy Kremes? The answer will be a resolute, "YES!" But, as I looked away from the bright lights and saw spots, I asked again, "But, do I desire to be small on the inside...where only One sees?" If I understand my midnight Wikipedia piccolo lesson and God's Word, less is the "more."

When we pick-a-low-er place before God, we make room for His might.
When we pick-a-low-er view of ourselves, we make way for His vision.
When we pick-a-low-er position, we make way to welcome His Presence.

Big God, I am sorry for not being small on the inside. What a resounding gong I have made ringing in Your Ears. I ask you to forgive my arrogance, my pride, and my geometrically-challenged ego. Embracing Your Grace, I give you more room. Knowing my lesson is for Your greater Glory. Be merciful, O God, while your Holy Spirit magnifies the truth that You do make the mighty from the minute, if we play the pick-a-low. Amen.


* This blog is dedicated to my friend, a talented 10th grade marching band musician, who loves Jesus, and unknowlingly ministers with her piccolo! Thank you for making Him great while being less. Hugs! :)

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is so great April!....I love this :)

allison@internetdatabases.com said...

UN-BE-LIEVEABLE!!!!!! This was the homily at Mass tonight. It was based on scripture reading where Jesus told the parable about sitting at the table -- not to sit at a place of honor.

I am consistently blown away by you and how plugged in you are to the Spirit. You never cease to hit me exactly where I Am--exactly where the Spirit is moving me. And your writing...divine. Really. This is the best I have read anywhere in a long time. Q. - How did you make all those connections with the words? A. - The Word--Alive in you.

God bless you and keep up the Good Word. ;-)

barefootoffering said...

Allison, thank you for your affirmation. Writing as been sporadic recently, but hallelujah that God used this! All the word connections really came from something you taught me. "Writing crosses the heart when it moves from head to hand!" Do you remember that? Well, it was in the typing that His Word was illuminated. As I typed, it was like the Holy Spirit was typing the words to me. Thank you for reading.

Post a Comment