Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Riding the Light Rails of Summer

Where have I been all week? Watching God work. I am totally distracted by Him and it is a wonderful feeling. It is like walking on a soft lawn just after it has been mowed...with no shoes! Or like toes being covered in sand as the waves caress them. Or finding a cool puddle of water after a quick thunder storm barefoot!


Amidst that feeling internally...externally Miss To-Do List says, "You have three writing assignments in your heart that have not yet made it to paper. Better hurry." Then, "That manuscript needs to be finished and sent for editing to pursue that speaking opportunity. You told her your goal was 3 days ago!" And not to mention, "Get Monday's Bible Study done, hope it ROCKS!"


And, I want to share how I have been seeing Him work with that! It has been my distinct pleasure to lead a teen Bible Study on Monday nights this summer looking at Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh.

Let me just brag on "my girls" a little...
- They are beautiful. No doubt!
- They are reading the assignments each week. Praise the Lord!
- They are believing Truth. Hallelujah!

The best thing I love about them is that they are authentic. They are eager to know God. I mean, they are giving up every Monday night this summer! They want to pursue Him with their questions and thoughts in journals. Even though they don't always readily share them [Smile & a Wink]. They are spending time with Him while reading His Word. There was even chocolate last week for the first time!

I don't know about your "Wonder Years" but my adolescence had a fair share of complications: braces (plus the headgear), divorced parents, school transfers, a cast & crutches, fashion fumbles (where did all the neon and big hair go?), and I lost count of the crushes. I could go on and on. My point is that these girls might be traveling down similar tracks, but they are focusing on the Light! Years later, are we?! Too many times, we think we know where we are headed, or at least where we want to go, but do we? Jagged situations, beams of obstacles, and rails of limitations join us along the way. However, I see "my girls" steaming full speed ahead as summer sun slips into the fall of school with new direction on a light rail...huge capacity to quickly avert lies for the frequent destination of Truth. My heart is overjoyed to be traveling with them. Really! Honestly! Truly!

When you can travel along that kind of path in middle school, high school, or life's school and can STILL be barefoot (vulnerable and honest) with God and friends, it is a journey of challenge, change, and choice. The Truth is, even if we don't know exactly where we are headed, seeking His Light on our face and in our lives needs one direction...toward Him, no stops!

With just four more chapters to go, we press on to look at Chapter 11 Monday entitled, Lies about Media. Katie Couric, Ann Curry, and Oprah, too, I got news for you! God has a TRUE LIFE story for each one of these girls! Their story is His story and He is in the process of writing it. Filled with LOVE, HOPE, GRACE, JOY, and most of all TRUTH, one day they will share it long after their journal has been stored. Some of us will join them making headlines, being on billboards, or airing through the newest technology...but as they know, the real truth is, God wants to see ALL of our names in LIGHT!

Let's run, jump, and kick up our heels the Son has not set, He is alive! I am excited! They are excited! HE is excited! Rejoice, and again I say, REJOICE!


"But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light,


so that it may be seen plainly


that what he has done


has been done through God." John 3:21


*A special thank you to my new girlfriend, a rising sophomore from Bible Study, who not only shared her true life summer photos with me above, but inspired me to write one of the three stories on my heart. Girl! I hope you see your beauty in this as well as in God's Word. Hugs!


0 comments:

Post a Comment