Wednesday, January 20, 2010

HUMANitarian Aid






Did you hear hear that another earthquake hit Haiti today? Just outside of the capital.
Did you hear that the USS Comfort arrived in Haiti today? 83 patients in 2 hours.
Did you hear that rescuers found a survivor after 8 days buried in rumble? A 5 year old boy.

This is what I heard today, but it wasn't all that I listened to.

My heart sank this morning when I was running water in the kitchen to fill up the coffee pot and heard that Haiti was in the midst of aftershocks. I whispered out loud, "Again?" Immediately my soul went quiet and felt the Presence of God. My mind was fast forwarding the previous days events, not all stable. Then other's. I thought of a friend calling her mom. I thought of a friend crossing the threshold of a classroom. I thought of a friend arriving at her desk. Aftershock after aftershock in these lives. Some are greater than others, then there are those that just make us quiver. Where is my USS Comfort? After these images, I was still. Then, I felt the answer.

"Yes, living in the valley of faith is like trying to climb out of a crumbling home and someone is there to rescue you, but you have to will yourself to keep crawling until you reach Him...He will never leave and positions Himself to grab our hand...even if you feel that you can not move, KEEP CRAWLING APRIL!"

At times, the physical destruction of Haiti and the dire need of the people have been too much to witness even through television, but it is REAL! Emotional and spiritual unrest can be just as catastrophic on the inside. How encouraging to know God sent a Comforter...anchored in a hope, ever-reaching, extremely capable, and possible by way of human pierced palms! I want to complain. I am tired. I am uncomfortable. I don't want to move. But, He will NOT leave me or forsake me. In fact, He has already lifted levels off of me and I remain huddled and braced for the next aftershock.

"CRAWL INTO MY ARMS. COME UNTO ME. You are dusty, bruised, bleeding, torn, thirsty, and not self-sufficient...why can you not accept you can only crawl right now, you can barely stand it...isn't that what you have told Me? Crawl. I don't expect anything more."

May our Comforter bring relief to our heavy hearts as the massive white ship with a bold red cross stands just off shore ready to heal Haitian hurts.

1 comments:

April said...

Ok...God spoke to me the morning after I wrote this blog and now I am commenting on my own blog, just to share what He said. Just this morning in my devotional reading, Deuteronomy 33:27 was listed from the Old Testament: "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say Destroy them." Thank you that I am being reminded of your helping hand and everlasting arms underneath the rubble.

Post a Comment