Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Reliance & Rebounds


After the year I had in 2013, I am terribly excited about leading our new Women's Bible Study starting tomorrow night!  Oh how I have missed hanging out with friends, collectively being in the Word, and drinking coffee while hearing stories about God working in hearts and lives...these are a few of my favorite things!



Let me share a story with you as we get ready to jump into this Bible Study…get the wheels turning, if you will.

 

It was cold Friday night as we passed Christmas lights and headlights on Rt. 8.  We walked into the gym to the hud, hud, hud of new basketballs hitting the wooden surface of the floor.  Excitement was in the air, until the drills started.  The little boy partnered with Jeremiah was trying to pound the ball AT him instead of practicing passing the ball TO him.  Jeremiah’s warning, “Stop it right, now” was not heeded and a bright red stinger appeared on the back of his leg as he tried to avoid the next basketball BOMB while the other child laughed.

 

Now, move with me from the gym floor to the bleachers, where I was sitting with my hubby, Jason. 

 

Girls, I was about ready to snatch my “Super Momma” cape right out my bottomless purse, fly down there, intervene with bracelets of righteous anger and set the situation straight when I heard, “Wait, April.”  Jason held out his hand, patted my leg, and encouraged me to watch and let Jeremiah handle the situation that we had only experienced in conversation over the dinner table.  You know the one, “When someone is mean to you, you…” or “When you see bullying, it is important that….”

 

How could my husband, an educator, not see the need to “address” this!  I gritted my teeth, watched and waited.  Jeremiah got the coach’s attention and the Coach addressed it.  Our son relied on what he had been taught, heeded our words, and overcame a difficult situation in a 7 year old’s life.   

 

Although many of us past the age of 7 many years ago, let me ask you as I did myself sitting there on the bleachers, do I heed my Heavenly Father’s wordsEven in the difficult situations?  If God came running into our lives with His absolute power at the need of every rescue, when would we ever learn to reply on what He has taught us through His Word and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?  It gives God great joy to watch us trust and implement what He has told us in the Bible...kinda like a parent seeing their child implement life lessons taught around the dinner table. 

 

In this season of your life, how is God rejoicing over your reliance on:  His faithfulness?  His abundance?  Or His truth?



See you Thursday! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment