Friday, October 22, 2010

New Balance and Solid Footing, Part 2!

So, last week I was learning about the barefoot running movement. Neat! Would you believe, that this week brought me right to the sidelines 2 stellar athletes. Both barefoot. And thus, I share, Part 2!

The one line from last week's magazine article that quickened my heart rate and even my pace was, "The more cushion, the less you feel the ground." Wanting to be more in step and run my destined race with less pain and injury, I pondered this q
uestion:

Q: Being barefoot, should you run barefoot in the mountains? or in the valleys?


Index card after index card covered her skirt stained with wet tears. My friend was visibly touched that we encircled her and her husband for prayer Sunday. But as she brushed tears away, I was caught up in my own moment. (You know the ones where you are in a crowded room, but suddenly you see something that makes you feel as if you are the only one there noticing it!) I saw those wet drops on her lap be immediately covered up as friends handed her index card after index card - white, yellow, lined, unlined - stationary sealed with a sticker, pieces of paper, and cards in envelopes. Each enscribed with verses from God's Word. Each meant to abide with her. Each would have to be a purposeful read because when facing giants, "cushion" would be required in the coming days.

This was not my first experience with "Index Card Love."

I distinctly remember hearing the flip and shuffle from one index card to another as a mother waited while her elementary aged son was in pediatric neurosurgery to remove a brain tumor. In a family and friend filled waiting room, I heard each flip thinking "and another hour has passed." Each hour she would silently read and mediate on a verse from God's Word never failing. There was no other "cushioing" that day.

What examples of faith you are to me! What athletes as you share your most vulnerable times of your life with me! Your race allowed me to see how you run...how you set your pace...how you navigate the terrain. Praise God! A giant slain! A boy healed! You felt each and every step along the way and did not rely on your own strength at all! Thank you for helping me answer my question this week.

You would think that these women I speak of are my life long friends, but not so. As I arrived along the sideline of each of their races, I barely knew them. Divine appointments brought me into these runners' lives. There was no denying it. As our friendships were merely in a blooming season, we shared the Word, a "cushioning," if you will.

New and old friends, let's answer!


A: Remember the statement, "The more cushion, the less you feel the ground." It is true! Think about it...Why do I want to know if I am feeling a mountain or a valley? Dealing with rockey or rolling? Slippery or smooth? Muddy or mellow? Up or down? He will bring me through! I will not dwell on the terrain below, as He directs my paths ahead. I want more "cushion" from the Word to feel less of the ground below. I want more of the Truth. Terrain may change. It will. But, Truth says, He is ever constant, never changing, and faithful. So, let's be vulnerable enough to feel less ground!


I think these 2 verses go together like a pair of "new balance:" First, Proverbs 3:6 In all your ways (mountains and/or valleys) acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths (even make'em straight, if crooked). But, who is "He?" That brings us to the second verse. In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God," John 1:1. No matter how high, how low, how wide, how deep, the grinding race gets, nothing can separate us from the Love of God. He, and in Him alone, is the firm foundation.


For less pain and injury we have to do our part. We have to rid ourselves of all the false lies that harm our hearts with fear, anger, guilt, shame, injustice, pride, jealousy, malice, hate, selfishness and any other hurrdle of sin we might face. Each is like a burning blisters in bad shoes, you feel it in each step along the way. This week...I have to admit, I have had a couple of hot spots and raw places. :( Sometimes others saw, but always God!


The runners of the world say, "The more cushion, in your shoe, the less you feel the ground."
That is true.
But, the readers of the Word say, "The more "cushion," in your soul, the less you feel the grind AND the MORE you feel the SOLID ROCK!"
That is Truth.


Loosen laces of lies. Kick off barriers. Set your eyes on the prize. Hurrles will come, we are promised that. Look to the sidelines, share your pain (with God and others of God), and let them "cushion" your steps with the Word. It helps. Run to it. It provides the GREATEST "cushion." Remember, GREATER is He who is in the race with you than he that is "lying" in the way!!!!


That's what I witnessed from 2 girlfriends, and they have the bare feet (and index cards) to prove it! Well done, good and faithful ones!

0 comments:

Post a Comment