Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jewels In the Palm of His Hand



So who doesn't know that I love jewelry?

Have I mentioned that?

All the girls in my Wednesday night Bible Study know about my "like" of this super cheap store in the mall that has the most fun and chunky necklaces, earrings, and huge rings for the amazing price of $3.99 each!! Love it all!!

That that is just my everyday jewelry. I have some very special pieces, too. My husband, Jason, buys me a very nice sentimental piece of jewelry for my treasured charm bracelet. Each year he chooses a charm that has a story behind it signifying the most important theme or event of that year. He writes that down and puts the story in the box, too.

There is a snowflake for our first kiss.

A pineapple for my 30th birthday in Colonial Willamsburg.

The cutest Charlie Brown Christmas tree for the only year we had a real one (a continuing debate!)...and I could go on and on.

My mom, brother, and mother-in-law have all contributed to my charm bracelet. But tonight, the neatest thing happened and I wanted to tell you!

We were in Bible Study and had the best time playing "Wind and the Willow" (trust game where you fall into other peoples' hands) to demonstrate trusting God's Will in our lives. If you have never played, I highly recommend it. We had a great time (Thank you Bethany, Rebecca, and Holly)!

Then, I looked down and saw this.

Right there was a baseball in a glove. All I could do was smile.
The charm's story: Jason and I did not know if we would have a boy or a girl as I was expecting. We called our baby, "Jellybean" for the entire pregnancy because that is what our child looked like on the first ultrasound. Well, the day after Jeremiah was born, I was holding him in my arms in the hospital room and my mother-in-law was so happy to finally know what color clothes to buy, she brought a baby blue outfit to the hospital for Jeremiah and a gift for me.

As I opened the jewelry box, I couldn't imagine what I would need...I had already received what I had wanted for so long.

I opened the box and there was a charm for my bracelet...a baseball in the center of a glove. April 20, 2006, I became a momma to a little baby boy!! I so remember the pride of that moment.

This was especially meaningful to me tonight because Jeremiah's first official T-ball practice is tomorrow and my mother-in-law passed away almost two years ago. We all still miss her. I couldn't help but just stare. I had had this on ALL day and I just saw it then.

I have joked about wearing "red socks" to be a true Team Mom...complete with red outfit and red ribbon in my ponytail, buying Big League Chew to celebrate a good first practice, and having hot dogs for dinner. But now, I can't forget to wear my bracelet to celebrate a significant day with my son. Thank you, Vonnie.

Yep, Isaiah 49:16 is not only prophetic, but a baseball verse..."See, I have engraved you in the palm of My Hands."

Just like we were talking about at the conclusion of our Bible Study, where else would you want to be, but at the center of God's Will? Who can pluck you out of of the Heavenly Father's Hand, if you know Jesus? Do you rest in knowing that God has His Hand on you? Always?

Pray with me.

Father, as we rest in you, may we fit like a baseball in a perfect glove. Your worn wounds make us worthy. Forgive us where we have stuck out and fouled. May we rest in the center of Your Will until it is time to go home, like Vonnie, only desiring Your Best for us. Until then, may we move like a willow in the wind when you call us up to bat. Amen.

2 comments:

Tanya Glanzman said...

April,

I know how much you loved Vonnie and how much she meant to you. What a sweet, tangible reminder of her love for you and for Jeremiah as he continues to grow and become the little boy and man of God that she prayed for him to become.

Kaitlyn said...

This was such a sweet post!! I love how each charm has a meaning behind it! how special :)

Post a Comment