Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Why did the Goose Cross the Road?"

Driving to Day #2 of our Speak Up with Confidence seminar was no child's play.

Most know the game where children sit in a circle and one child goes around saying, "Duck, Duck, Duck" as the other children await the honor of being chosen. Then, that one "special" youngster is selected by the all significant laying a hand to the head and yelling, "GOOSE!"

And that is just what I heard in my head as I slammed on the breaks, "GOOSE!" I couldn't help it. There was heavy morning traffic, the median to my left, and cars to my right. I had no where to go! I hit and killed a beautiful, huge, full grown Canadian goose. I slowed down almost to a crawl and had to keep on going straight, there was no where to turn, but as I looked in the rear view mirror, there where black, white, and grey down feathers fluttering all around the back of my car and onto the hood of the car behind me. Two other young geese anxiously turned around and trotted back in another direction.

"Oh no! Do you think I killed it?" I asked in shock and sadness.
"Yes, I heard a 'squish,' my conference sister answered in a whisper.
"THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO SAY TO SOMEONE WHO HAS JUST KILLED A GOOSE!" I yelled.

Are you one of the two geese that turn and go and find the way when life leaves no room, just obstacles? Or are you the the one who gets "squished!"

Do not be "squished!" It says that in the Bible, here I will show you...


"...I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run!—on the road God called you to travel. I don't want any of you sitting around on your hands. I don't want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere. And mark that you do this with humility and discipline—not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences. You were all called to travel on the same road and in the same direction, so stay together, both outwardly and inwardly. You have one Master, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who rules over all, works through all, and is present in all. Everything you are and think and do is permeated with Oneness. But that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift." Ephesians 4:1-7 (MSG)


In the circle of life, God has called each of us, "GOOSE, GOOSE, GOOSE..." but not each of us is to just follow and be like the one before us. Sometimes we have to get there in different ways. I don't know your way. I really don't even know mine. But, if I follow God's Word and not man, I am less likely to get "squished."

If there is one thing that I have learned while being at the 2010 Speak Up with Confidence Seminar, it is that God has created some beautiful geese...truly beautiful...some from really ugly ducklings. I know. I am one of them. I no longer doubt my calling to speak, but I am learning how. Ephesians 4 tells us that we can avoid getting "squished" if we follow these signs:
~ Humility & discipline
~ Not fits and starts
~ Steadily
~ Pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love,
~ Alert at noticing differences
~ Quick at mending fences

Which one will you follow from here? You are not a Silly Goose, you are Chosen.

1 comments:

Allison Welch said...

What a great post, April. I'm so sorry about the experience -- YUCK! As a fellow blogger I know that God grants us the "ugly" experiences and tasks/trusts us with making it come alive ;-) for others to see, feel, learn from and even laugh with. When something comically painful happens my kids will actually say, as if it is a consolation, "You can blog about it, Mommy..." Sharing truly does bless all involved.

Having said that, I'm grateful to have had this experience vicariously! I confess that I'm still trying to hear God's message for me in your words. I have no doubt that he speaks to me through you but I admit I'm a little scared... Your post arrives as I'm preparing my first response to the newspaper question-of-the-week in almost nine months and I have the distinct feeling I'm in the middle of the road again! Ugh. Just how many lives does a goose have anyway?

I love you and I am praying unceasingly for you. Keep up the great writing. We may not even be in the same state, but I can distinctly hear your voice! (That's the sign of a great writer.) You are awesome and I am so proud of you!!!! I'm especially thrilled to hear that you no longer doubt your calling -- that is major progress for anyone and worth the price of admission itself!!!!

Onward!!!
Love always,
Allison

Post a Comment